(LEBANON, Mo.) - If Matt Wallace wants to win a title this year, he might as well win every single NASCAR Whelen All American Series race along the way. The 17-year-old North Carolina hotshoe said as much in victory lane Saturday night during Monster Energy & Caddy Shack Golf Cars Night at the Races after collecting his fourth win of the 2013 campaign at Lebanon I-44 Speedway, slipping past fellow young gun Austin Fullerton for the top spot with just under ten laps remaining and never looking back on his way to the checkers. Points leader Cole Williams maintained a slim advantage in the standings with his third place result.
In other action, Payton Lucas found his way into the winner's circle again for the Budweiser Modifieds while J.C. Newell scored another triumph in the Monster Energy Sportsman. Justin Blake grabbed another victory in the Hoosier Tire Road Warriors and Larry Hunter nabbed his first checkers of the year in the Coca-Cola Chargers.
The 'Grasshopper' jumped into the early lead in the O'Reilly Auto Parts NASCAR Pro Late Models 30-lap main event, pacing the 13-car field to the green as fellow teenager Matt Wallace emerged in second. As Fullerton set a blistering pace and broke away from Wallace and the pack, Ken Dickinson went on a scary ride, flying up to the turn three wall near the entrance to the pits, but was able to continue.
When racing resumed, Fullerton found himself out front once again as Wallace pulled away from Jim Reaves and closed to within a couple car lengths of the leader. Wallace worked over Fullerton for the top spot as the field shrunk in their rearview mirrors, finally pushing past him for the lead with ten laps to go and quickly pulling away to a three car length edge out front. Behind the leaders, points leader Cole Williams got around Lil' J.C. Newell for third, but Wallace was able to slice into his points lead with his fourth win of the season.
"We were able to bounce back and be patient up front at the start," Wallace said in the winner's circle. "I guess we gotta go win eight features (to win the championship) now."
Fullerton finished second while Cole Williams maintained his points lead in third. Lil' J.C. Newell made the top four finishes all teenagers while Brennan Willard rounded out the top five.
Scotty Allen assumed command when the green flag waved on the 25-lap Budweiser Modifieds headliner, immediately coming under pressure from veteran David Bates for the top spot. Behind the leaders, defending champion Tyler Scott surged through the field and into third. As the race eased past the halfway mark, Scott closed up on Bates' back bumper for second.
Scott got around Bates with little trouble and sliced the deficit between himself and the leader in half before the caution waved for action in the back of the pack. Allen led the field to the restart, and was out front when Scott made contact with him, sending the leader for a spin on the frontstretch and relegating them both to the rear of the field as Payton Lucas inherited the top spot.
Lucas broke away from the field on the restart and emerged with comfortable advantage over Bates. As the laps wound down, Allen and Scott charged back through the field and into the top-three, but it was Lucas who held on for the win, his third of the season. Scott settled for second as Allen came home third.
The 'Gentle Giant' loomed large at the start of the 20-lap Monster Energy Sportsman main event, as J.C. Newell roared to the lead at lap three and checked out on the field as points leader Robert Reeves tried to work his way through the field. Randy Besser followed Newell to the front, taking second away and cutting into the leader's advantage before a caution waved with 12 laps remaining.
On the restart, Newell continued to lead as Besser broke away from the pack and tried to track him down. Besser managed to cut into Newell's advantage but wasn't able to ever get to his bumper, as Newell held on for his second win of the season. Besser settled for second as Aaron Douglas returned and garnered a third place result. Ron Hartford charged through the field and held off a pair of challengers for the win in the United States Super Trucks feature, ran in conjunction with the Sportsman event.
A calamitous start marred the beginning of the Hoosier Tire Road Warriors main event as four cars were swept up in opening lap mayhem, knocking out several contenders in the 12-car field as the 15-lap feature was forced to basically start over.
When racing did get underway in earnest, points leader Justin Blake burst into the top spot and broke away from the pack as Steve Shaw settled into second. A hard incident involving Chuck Higdon and Caston Jones brought out an extended red flag two laps later. Blake wasted little time returning to a commanding spot out front as the rest of the field spread out behind him. The laps ticked off in rapid succession as Blake went wire-to-wire for another win, extending his points lead in the process. Aaron Wilke grabbed second while Steve Shaw scored a podium finish in third.
Jason Walls worked his way into the top spot in the beginning stages of the 12-lap Coca-Cola Chargers feature, pacing the field to the caution flag on lap three. Just one lap later, it was Walls who brought out the caution after taking a wild ride along the frontstretch wall at the expense of Jordan Nisbett. Larry Hunter held the top spot when racing resumed as points leader Jimmy Poindexter searched high and low for speed in the bridesmaid's position. Poindexter's last lap dash closed the gap to under a car length, but the points leader had to settle for second as Hunter found his way into the winner's circle for the first time in 2013 in an exciting finish.
Racing returns to Missouri's only asphalt oval this Saturday night, August 17, for Whelen Engineering Night at the Races as the headlining O'Reilly Auto Parts NASCAR Pro Late Models lead the way in the tenth 'Kickin' Asphalt' program of the 2013 campaign with another set of 25-lap double features. The Budweiser Modifieds highlight an exciting undercard while the Monster Energy Sportsman, Hoosier Tire Road Warriors and Coca-Cola Chargers will also be in action. Spectator gates will open at 5 p.m. with the green flag set to wave at 7:00 p.m. sharp on the evening's jam-packed slate of racing action and fans will receive double the late model action for the SAME great price!
For more information on Lebanon I-44 Speedway, including a full 2013 schedule and more, visit the track website at www.i44speedway.net or visit the track's Facebook and Twitter pages online.
Lebanon I-44 Speedway - August 10, 2013
Heat 1 Heat 2
1) Car # 21 Ken Dickinson 1) Car # 3 Brennon Willard
2) Car # 07 Terry Limberopoulos 2) Car # 15 JC Newell
3) Car # 9 Tucker Cory 3) Car # 47 Kaleb Allison
4) Car # 67 Jimmy Vanzandt 4) Car # 46 Cole Williams
5) Car # 35 Steve Holt 5) Car # 6 Matt Wallace
6) Car # 18 Jim Reaves 6) Car # 20 Austin Fullerton
7) Car # 42 Cole Rouse 7) Car # 98 Terry Smith
1) Car # 6 Matt Wallace Concord, NC
2) Car # 20 Austin Fullerton Chelsea, OK
3) Car # 46 Cole Williams Sellersburg, IN
4) Car # 15 JC Newell Stoutland, MO
5) Car # 3 Brennon Willard Sleeper, MO
6) Car # 18 Jim Reaves Strafford
7) Car # 35 Steve Holt Strafford, MO
8) Car # 47 Kaleb Allison Mexico, MO
9) Car # 67 Jimmy Vanzandt Springfield, MO
10) Car # 9 Tucker Cory Quincy, IL
11) Car # 07 Terry Limberopoulos Cuba, MO
12) Car # 42 Cole Rouse Fort Smith, AR
13) Car # 21 Kennie Dickinson Camdenton, MO
DNS Car # 98 Terry Smith Belton, MO
1) Car # 6 Richard Lewis
2) Car # 66 Terry Taylor
3) Car # 25 Stephen Counterman
4) Car # 26 Payton Lucas
5) Car # 12 Scotty Allen
6) Car # 91 David Bates
7) Car # 88 Paul Jepsen
8) Car # 10 Joe Bunkers
9) Car # 11 Mark Riddle
10) Car # 57 Tyler Scott
1) Car # 26 Payton Lucas Fair Grove, MO
2) Car # 57 Tyler Scott Nixa, MO
3) Car # 12 Scotty Allen Urbana, MO
4) Car # 6 Richard Lewis Willard, MO
5) Car # 25 Stephen Counterman Fair Grove, MO
6) Car # 88 Paul Jepsen Rolla, MO
7) Car # 66 Terry Taylor Fair Grove, MO
8) Car # 11 Mark Riddle Springfield, MO
9) Car # 10 Joe Bunkers Harrisonville, MO
10) Car # 91 David Bates Fair Grove, MO
Sportsman & Trucks
1) Car # 6 Robert Reeves
2) Car # 21 Randy Besser
3) Car # 54 Aaron Douglas
4) Car# 84 JC Newell
5) Truck #97 Ron Hartford
6) Truck # 22 Eddie Tidwell
7) Truck # 1 Eric Caudell
8) Car # 48 Jimmy Fohn
9) Car # 22 Austin Johnson
1) Car # 84 JC Newell (Gentle Giant) Decauterville, MO
2) Car # 21 Randy Besser Branson, MO
3) Truck # 97 Ron Hartford Raytown, MO
4) Car # 54 Aaron Douglas Lebanon, MO
5) Car # 22 Austin Johnson Inola, OK
6) Car # 48 Jimmy Fohn Eldridge, MO
7) Truck # 1 Eric Caudell Piedmont, OK
8) Truck#22 Eddie Tidwell Tulsa, OK
Heat 1 Heat 2
1) Car # 8 Aaron Wilke 1) Car # 45 Geoffrey Ledford
2) Car # 9 Chuck Higdon 2) Car # 21 Les Mallard
3) Car # 1 Gary Barrows 3) Car # 52 Alan Ellis
4) Car # 27 Nick Cherry 4) Car # 90 Steve Shaw
5) Car # 99 Riley Sharp 5) Car # 15 Robert Blake
6) Car # 34 Caston Jones
7) Car # 14 Kasey Buckley
1) Car # 15 Justin Blake Lebanon, MO
2) Car # 8 Aaron Wilke Bridgetown, MO
3) Car # 90 Steve Shaw Rogersville, MO
4) Car # 21 Les Mallard Fair Grove, MO
5) Car # 45 Geoffrey Ledford Neosho, MO
6) Car # 99 Riley Sharp Springfield, MO
7) Car # 1 Gary Barrows Versailes, MO
8) Car # 27 Nick Cherry Springfield, MO
9) Car # 9 Chuck Higdon Strafford, MO
10) Car # 34 Caston Jones Belle, MO
11) Car # 52 Allen Ellis Strafford, MO
12) Car # 14 Kasey Buckley
1) Car # 11 Lauren Buhr
2) Car # 74 Larry Hunter
3) Car # 5 Jimmy Poindexter
4) Car # 95 Jordan Nisbett
5) Car # 44 Ben White
6) Car # 10 Jason Walls
7) Car # 37 Jary Hudson
8) Car # 7 Amanda Anderson
9) Car # 89 Patrick McKnight
1) Car # 74 Larry Hunter Laquey, MO
2) Car # 5 Jimmy Poindexter Jr Willard, MO
3) Car # 44 Ben White Rolla, MO
4) Car # 11 Lauren Buhr Neosho, MO
5) Car # 10 Jason Walls St. James, MO
6) Car # 89 Patrick McKnight Rolla, MO
7) Car # 7 Amanda Anderson Lebanon, MO
8) Car # 37 Jary Hudson Edgar Springs, MO
9) Car # 95 Jordan Nisbett Lebanon, MO
Lebanon I-44 Speedway offers an alcohol-free Monster Energy Grandstand, featuring aluminum seating with seat-backs, along with Budweiser "Wild Side" tier parking for cars, pickup trucks and RV's where patrons may park, tailgate and view the races. A great view is also available on the grandstand side in the Budweiser "Fan Deck" area for those that would enjoy an adult beverage.
Admission prices for the Monster Energy grandstands & Budweiser Fan Deck will remain just $10 for Adults, ages 16 and older, in the grandstands while Adult admission on the 'Budweiser Wild Side' will remain just $15. Discounted admission will be offered in both locations for Military members with an ID present, as well as Seniors (ages 65 and older) and Juniors (ages 11-15), and Children (ages 10 and younger) will be admitted for free. A grandstand Family Pass for two Adults and two Juniors plus any number of Children is available for $25, while six Adults entering in the same vehicle on tiered parking will be admitted to the 'Budweiser Wild Side' for $75.
Lebanon I-44 Speedway is located four miles east of the Lebanon city limit on Historic Route 66. Patrons using Interstate 44 may take Exit 135 and then drive approximately one mile east on Route 66 to the track's main entrance. Additional information about the track's 2013 'Kickin' Asphalt' racing schedule may be found on the facility's official website, www.i44speedway.net, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Lebanon-I-44-Speedway, and on Twitter (@i44Speedway).